4 C Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1 C chilled
butter or margarine, cut into small pieces
1 C Sugar
firmly packed Brown Sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
6 T Butter-melted
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 12x8inch
baking dish with cooking spray.
2. To prepare crumb base, stir together flour
and salt. Add butter and cut into flour with a pastry blender or two
knives until the consistency of medium-fine meal. Add Sugar, brown
sugar and cinnamon. stir well.
3. To prepare topping, transfer
4 Cups of crumb base to a medium bowl. Add melted butter; stir only
until blended. Fluff mixture with fingers to make coarse, buttery
4. Add ginger, nutmeg, cloves and baking soda to
remaining crumb base. Stir well. Add buttermilk, egg and vanilla; beat
to make a smooth, thick batter.
5. Spread batter evenly in
prepared pan. Sprinkle topping evenly over batter.
40-45 minutes, until topping is lightly browned and a toothpick
inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
7. Dust top of cake with powdered sugar, if using. Serve warm or
at room temperature.