1 1/2 tsp. finely shredded orange peel
2 slices firm-textured white or whole
wheat sandwich bread, cut into quarters
3/4 C chopped pecans, or almonds
1/2 C finely crushed graham crackers
1. In a large bowl, stir together the sugar, orange
peel and orange juice. Add Rhubarb; gently toss
until coated. Let the rhubarb mixture stand
about 15 minutes or until a syrup forms, stirring
2. Using the 1 T butter, generously coat the bottom
and sides of an 8x8 inch baking dish. Set the baking
3. Place bread quarters in the blender or food
processor and chop the bread up until its in little
pieces. Transfer bread crumbs to a large bowl.
Add Pecans, crushed graham crackers, brown sugar,
cinnamon, ginger and salt. Gently toss until
4. Evenly scatter 1/3 of the crumb mixture onto
the bottom of the baking dish. Top with the rhubarb
mixture. Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture over the
rhubarb. Drizzle melted butter over all.
5. Bake in 375 overn for 35-40 minutes or until the
rhubarb is bubbly and tender, and the crumbs are nicely
browned. Cool for 30 minutes on a wire rack.
Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
Makes 6 servings