|this is from Susan Latusek in Cedar Falls Iowa.|
|1 C Sugar|
1 1/2 tsp. finely shredded orange peel
2 T. orange juice
6 C sliced fresh rhubarb
1 T butter-softened
2 slices firm-textured white or whole wheat sandwich bread, cut into quarters
3/4 C chopped pecans, or almonds
1/2 C finely crushed graham crackers
1/2 C brown sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 C butter, melted
1. In a large bowl, stir together the sugar, orange peel and orange juice. Add Rhubarb; gently toss until coated. Let the rhubarb mixture stand about 15 minutes or until a syrup forms, stirring occasionally.
2. Using the 1 T butter, generously coat the bottom and sides of an 8×8 inch baking dish. Set the baking dish aside.
3. Place bread quarters in the blender or food processor and chop the bread up until its in little pieces. Transfer bread crumbs to a large bowl. Add Pecans, crushed graham crackers, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Gently toss until combined.
4. Evenly scatter 1/3 of the crumb mixture onto the bottom of the baking dish. Top with the rhubarb mixture. Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture over the rhubarb. Drizzle melted butter over all.
5. Bake in 375 overn for 35-40 minutes or until the rhubarb is bubbly and tender, and the crumbs are nicely browned. Cool for 30 minutes on a wire rack. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
Makes 6 servings